Veterans deployed in the prior year outside the continental United States, Alaska or Hawaii in support operations designated by the Florida legislature are eligible for additional exemption based on the term of deployment in the prior year.
The Legislature enacted Chapter 2018-118
, Laws of Florida, (HB 7087
)effective July 1, 2018. Section 15 updates the designated operations for which deployed servicemembers may qualify for the homestead exemption in Section 196.173, Florida Statutes. It specifies that Operation Enduring Freedom ended on December 31, 2014, and it removes from the list Operations New Dawn and Odyssey Dawn, which ended on December 15, 2011, and October 31, 2011, respectively.
The exemption is available to service members who were deployed during the preceding calendar year on active duty outside the continental United States, Alaska, or Hawaii in support of any of the following military operations:
- Operation Joint Task Force Bravo, which began in 1995.
- Operation Joint Guardian, which began on June 12, 1999.
- Operation Noble Eagle, which began on September 15, 2001.
- Operation Enduring Freedom, which began on October 7, 2001, and ended on December 31, 2014.
- Operations in the Balkans, which began in 2004.
- Operation Nomad Shadow, which began in 2007.
- Operation U.S. Airstrikes Al Qaeda in Somalia, which began in January 2007.
- Operation Copper Dune, which began in 2009.
- Operation Georgia Deployment Program, which began in August 2009.
- Operation Spartan Shield, which began in June 2011.
- Operation Observant Compass, which began in October 2011.
- Operation Inherent Resolve, which began on August 8, 2014.
- Operation Atlantic Resolve, which began in April 2014.
- Operation Freedom’s Sentinel, which began on January 1, 2015.
- Operation Resolute Support, which began in January 2015.
The designated operations can change – please file an application and we will process it based on the latest information provided to the Legislature by the Department of Military Affairs.
To apply, complete the application form and submit it along with proof of the qualifying deployment(s)
which includes dates of the deployment
and other information necessary to verify eligibility for the exemption such as a letter from the servicemember's administrative officer. You may e-mail your application and supporting information to email@example.com
, fax it to (386) 329-0447, or hand deliver or mail it to the Putnam County Property Appraiser’s office (East Annex Bldg) at 312 Oak Street, Palatka, Florida 32177.
The deadline to file is March 1.
Servicemembers whose deployment spans over two calendar years must apply each year.